Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Studio B

   A couple weeks ago I got home from a trip to Nashville that changed my life.  

I know those are probably the words of every country singer in the history of the world, but I'm completely serious here, it was amazing! I wanted to share one experience in particular that I will never forget. 
So in Nashville there's this extremely famous popular old recording studio called Studio B. (There used to be Studio A, and C but they were demolished years ago). And I got to go on a tour of it. At first I thought it was just going to be a sort-of, go inside the building and learn about the studio and then look through the window at it. So we went inside and I was right about the first part, where we learned about the studio's history and all the artists that have recorded there. But then we went over to look at it and we actually got to go inside. I was so amazed to be standing on that floor in that exact room that 1000 hits were recorded in. I mean we're talking, Elvis Presley, Dolly Parton, Porter Wagoner, Hank Williams and so many others! Our tour guide walked us in and had us sit down and then told us this story that I will never forget. 
In Studio C, there are 4 light fixtures on each of the four corners of the room, and each fixture has 4 different colored lights on it: Red, White, Blue, and Green. Elvis Presley had these fixtures put in, because he was really dedicated to getting his songs just right, and the different colored lights helped set the mood. (Red+Green for Christmas, Blue for sad, Yellow/White for upbeat, etc.) And when he was trying to record the song Are You Lonesome Tonight he couldn't find the right setting. He tried blue, and white, and all the different colors, and then he decided to just turn all the lights off, including the outside lights, the instrument players' lights, and the recording lights. When he did this they were able to do the song in one take, and it was perfect. 
After he told us this story, our tour guide turned off all of the lights and played the ballad for us. It was incredible. I can't even explain how amazing it was to sit in that historic room where so many of my idols have played and to listen to this song that had been so carefully and perfectly recorded. It was at that moment that I knew I wanted to be a musician. I've always been a singer/pianist/guitarist/any-insturment-i-can-get-my-hands-on-ist, and music has always been a huge part of my personality, but it wasn't until that exact moment that I knew, more than anything that this is what I want to do with my life. 
After the song was over, I got to play Elvis's favorite piano and Chet Atkin's favorite guitar. (SO COOL) Here's some pictures of other fantastic things I got to do.


Watching awesome live performances EVERYWHERE


Recording a little song at Ryman Records


Performing on the Grand Ole Opry stage at the Opry House!!


Playing Elvis's favorite piano inside Studio B

No comments:

Post a Comment